Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Secrete To Life

I was asked the question the other day how I do the things i do,fish the places I fish and just go at life like a kid hitting the playground at recess,now don't get me wrong i do have bills to pay and responsibilities I just don't let them run my life.It got me thinking about something I had not thought about in years,now for those of you that have seen the movie city slickers(Jack Palance,Billy Crystal)then you will know what i'am talking about,if not then watching the movie might help.There is  a scene in the movie were Billy Crystal asks Jack what the secret to life is,Jack holds up his finger and Billy says the secret to life is your finger,Jack replies with a look of frustration and says no its one thing the secret to life is one thing ,Billy asks what is that one thing,Jack responds that's what you have to find out.Now I know at this point your thinking this is getting pretty deep,but hang in there I promise there is a point.Some years ago I was faced with one of the scariest things I think one will ever have to encounter,I won't go into detail but my wife was in the hospital and I didn't know if I was going to get her back.My wife is fine now and we couldn't be happier,but at the time this was all going on I found that one thing.That is when my life started to change and I started to see things from a different perspective.That's were all the fishing adventures come into play, me and my wife decided that we would start doing the things we want to do and not let life pass us by.That is what took me to Alaska this past year something i have wanted to do for years and just let me say it is exactly like in the books AMAZING!!!What a trip and its just like they say getting there is half the fun,from the bush planes to the boats the place is unreal.We flew into Anchorage and that is pretty much were the world as we all know it ceases to exists,we boarded a small plane or what i though was small till I saw the next one,no long security lines,and for that matter no security to go thru at all.That was nice to see how things could be in a better world.We landed in Homer and from there we took a boat ride to the small fishing village of Port Graham,now we were in the backcountry of Alaska.From there we took a very scenic drive to the lodge and mind you this is a old road that goes from the lodge to Port Graham and that is it.The lodge was top notch the food was five star, you stay in two person cabins that where tended to daily and the best part the fishing is crazy,salmon and dolly varden everywhere.I know some people think with that many salmon in the river you are snagging fish, not true these fish are fresh from the ocean and they are aggressive and ready to take a fly for what ever reason.Also these two rivers the Rocky and the Windy river are miles of private water owned by the Port Graham corporation,so the people at the lodge are the only ones fishing them.This truly is a trip to see Alaska as it was meant to be.I could go on for hours about the trip but seeing how I dont like typing on the computer as much as  Connell does(just kidding)we have planned a presentation at the fly shop on the the 19 of April from 6pm to 8pm.So if you think a trip to Alaska might be in the future or just want to come hear some cool stories and see some great pictures,do you self a favor and try to make it,you never know that one thing just might be in Alaska.As always your friend on the water Freaky Frog.









 

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Cody! See you on the 19th

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice share Cody, so inspiring. Now I am thinking what is actually the secret to life, I might have to figure it out. But I can consider one of my adventure in life and that is fly fishing. That is one thing help me forget the dilemmas I had in my life. Thanks Cody and continue inspire everyone.

    tennessee fly fishing

    ReplyDelete