Monday, March 11, 2013

Just Around The Corner

 I want to start with an apology for not writing more,I would like to thank everyone for reading and I will try to stay up on my blog more.As some might know I have a bit of a fishing problem,Some might say an obsession I like to say passion(ok obsession probably fits better).I love to chase big fish all over the country and I say country just because I haven't fly fished in a far away lands yet,some day soon I hope to change that.With that being said big fish in your back yard are pretty dang good,and sight fishing for these guys is a blast.Covering water this weekend seemed to be the ticket,me and a good friend hit the water about mid morning the fishing started fair but no big fish to speak of came to the net.A quick chat with Cat and Connell revealed more of the same.So we went on the hunt and made tracks down river,what we saw next was just short of amazing,big fish off there beds(redds)and moving into feeding lanes.Game on is all that came to mind, this is my favorite way to fly fish,now i am a big fan of indicators but this day I would have to do without.The fish were in gin clear water and the sun was high in the sky,spooky fish, stealth was the name of the game.This is were a good fishing buddy who can spot fish well is invaluable,that is exactly what we did one would spot the other would fish.Seeing fish in low clear water is not the hard part in my opinion,but getting a good presentation without spooking the fish and seeing the take with no indicator is the challenge in my book.But like I said there was no shortage of opportunities,the fish were on the feed and the fishing was great.Plenty of 17''s and 18''s and a nice 20 to top it all off,there were some big fish that got the best of us those were the 22s and 23s right,that's how i like to tell the story after all we are fly fishermen and women we cant help it.No but all kidding aside what a great river we have,and I can't say it enough if the fish are on there beds please let them be it will only make the river better.Now sighting fish is not always easy but if you know what your looking for and with practice it can become the best skill you have anywhere on any water.I would also like to give a big congrats to Connell who landed an absolute pig of a fish,that he spotted and made it happen.Cat got it on film and I know everyone will get to see it soon on there blog.From all of us at the Drift thanks for reading, your friend Freaky Frog.


1 comment: